Total Pageviews

Monday, September 19, 2011

It has recently been announced that a new (noun) may be built in your neighborhood...

Actually, I'm kidding. I simply felt like showing how creative these people really were with their writing prompts.

The actual question I am going to focus on for this part is this:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Face-to-face communication is better than other types of communication, such as letters, email, or telephone calls. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.


I chose this prompt out of the ones available because this one is actually pretty personal to me. As some of you may know, I have a boyfriend, and the reason I hardly talk about him much (at least, compared to the amount other girls talk about theirs) is because he's hardly around. As we'd known each other and went to the same school since sixth grade, he had moved to California toward the end of my eighth grade year, and we hadn't seen each other until this past summer, when we had finally started dating.

I really didn't know what to think when he had left again. I really did have mixed feelings about him leaving again; on one hand, I was all right with it because we still had means of communicating each other: through the internet, talking on the phone, and I was used to this sort of communication from someone else. I thought it would be perfectly fine until we saw each other again, and I would hold my own.

Yet, in some ways, it wasn't perfectly fine (which would soon lead me to my point, in case you did not realize that I am not using this post solely to vent about my personal problems), and it was especially so in ways I could not describe in words. Even though I still had a chance to hear his voice and read his rather poorly written, I might add messages to me, I still felt there was something missing. Really, the only thing I can think of comparing it to would have been Will and Elizabeth in At World's End, where Will has to leave Elizabeth at the end spoiler alert el oh el and cannot see her again for ten years. During the time that is filled up by the end credits that everyone has to sit through in order to see the epilogue, Elizabeth has to cope with the loss of Will and (just a guess, as the credits were blocking everyone's view of her angst) realize how difficult life is without him by her side, just as she had gotten used to him by her side and fighting the forces of the man your man will never be Lord Beckett and crap. It's kind of the same situation, only not lasting as long as ten years (although that IS a worst case scenario we talked about) and Lord Beckett is quite unfortunately not involved.

But I digress.

Even though technology has advanced to the point where the person could almost literally be in front of your face speaking to you even if you are miles and miles apart, there is still something missing from that type of communication that is only present in real, face-to-face contact. There is simply that feeling one gets, especially if it is someone he or she truly loves, that is brought about when the other person is present yet lays dormant when a screen conceals him. There is a coldness that is melted with love's warm touch; a coldness of the heart that materializes when all one needs is someone there - a certain beloved someone - and that someone is not present, nor will be present for quite some time. Though I can talk to my boyfriend over the phone or over webcam, we can't hug or kiss over the computer (and don't even begin to mention the cheap "x"es and "o"s, because they died out in the late nineties), and that alone would leave an emptiness in anyone's heart.

Aaaaaand look at me, being all angst-y and writing sad poetry.

I should save it for if I get a Livejournal.

No comments:

Post a Comment