Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Holocaust

If, hypothetically, someone said to me that he did not believe in the Holocaust, I would not agree or disagree. To say that I have a very strong opinion on the matter would be a blatant lie. I am a realist, and I interpret data based on facts to which I have previously been exposed. I would not defensively insult the person and his opinion, because I believe in the viewpoint of the great philosopher Voltaire: even though I may not agree with what one is saying, I still respect his right to say it. Therefore, I would not agree or disagree with the other party, but I will hear him out on what he has to say.

As for the other party, there is no concrete way to know if he is right or wrong. Though there is evidence that greatly supports the existence of the Holocaust, one does not truly know the facts unless he has been there himself and experienced the implied horrors. Again - and I feel that I must clarify this -, I will not say he is wrong, nor will I say he is right. For all that we know as human beings, we could both be wrong, and there could be a third way. Even if it was concrete that he was wrong, I have accepted the fact that I can do nothing to change his opinion. One of the major lifelong lessons to be learned is that one does not have complete control over everything and everyone, especially not in a way that can give one the ability to manipulate another's thoughts and beliefs. Therefore, my final verdict is for him to believe whatever he wants to believe, at least until there is concrete, perfect evidence of the Holocaust occurring.

No comments:

Post a Comment